Week 5 Video Lessons

Home Forums VMTTC Online Discussion Forum Week 5 Video Lessons

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Pasyanthi
      Keymaster

Please use this thread to post your questions/Comments/impressions/Learnings etc on topics covered in week 5 video lessons

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi ken,

It is 11:08 pm PST here in USA. I have completed video no. 16 and quiz 4 yesterday itself. But it is not showing up as complete, i can not mark the video complete. I will need help here.

Thank you,

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Savita,

I can’t help with this. It is a technical question and you will need to submit a ticket to the Pasyanthi Team.

Preeti Pathak
      Participant

Hi Ken,
      There are 3 quizzes in week 5.Is it necessary to complete only after lesson 19 or we can complete after each lesson (i.e lesson 17,18 and 19)?
      Thanks

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

You can try to go straight to the quiz after lesson 17 Preeti, but I think you will find you can only get to the quizzes after lesson 19.

Preeti Pathak
        Participant

okay, thank you.

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

In lesson 18, we talked about averaging nos. Does the Vedic method averaging same as conventional?

Thanks,

Preeti Pathak
      Participant

Hi Ken,

In lesson 17, practice 3,

Q.7 )      46  *   54,    I did this way.

46 * (44 + 10)

= 46 * 44 +46*10

=2024 + 460(using “one more than before” method)= 2024+ 460=2484

and also, by “using the average”method, 46*54=(50*50)-(4*4)=2484

Q.8)   31 * 34 , we can get the answer by ” vertïcally and crosswise “method.  Can we use “one more than one before”method in this case?

Thanks

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Preeti,

That is all valid. But please note that these can also be solved using the ‘one more than before’ method with Proportionately (which was the expected method).

Preeti Pathak
        Participant

Hello,

Thank you.

In this case ,for  using “one more than the one before ” ,34 will have to be written as 39-5.

31  *   34

34=(39-5),will give

31 * (39-5)=(31 *39) -(31*5)

=1209-155

= 1054

Is this the way(explained above) ,we can do ?( “proportionately is not used here)

For using proportionately,

if we halve 34, will get 17 .If we double ,will get 68. can’t find 17 * 31 or 68*31.(using proportionately)

similarly,doubling 31 will give 62.Can’t find 62 * 34(using proportionately).

Please explain how it can be done “using proportionately”?

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Preeti,

Your solution for 31*34 is fine.
        The alternative is to double both numbers and find 62*68 using By One More and then halving twice.

For 46*54 you can halve both numbers, find 23*27 and double twice.

Preeti Pathak
        Participant

Thank you.Got it. I did not cosider doubling or halving both the numbers.

Pasyanthi
      Keymaster

test message

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

<span style=”color: #0000ff;”>test message 2</span>

Fabio Zanatta
      Participant

Hello,

I have a question on Samuccaya Sutra.

The lesson 17 consider the equation 1/(x-3) + 1/(x-5) = 1/(x-2)+ 1/(x-6)

If I understand correctly, the Sutra say that (x-3)+(x-5)=2x-8 from the left side of the equation and (x-2)+(x-6)=2x-8 from the right side of the equation. Because we have 2x-8 (results are equals) from both sides of the equation, we calculate x=4.

This is correct? Thanks

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Yes that is correct Fabio.

It is a special type of equation – in that type of equation, since the two totals are the same, we equate them to zero.

Tirthaji describes several other such types, and this Sutra makes them really easy to solve.

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

I like these lessons of multiplication and the extensions such as squaring numbers ending with 5,  averaging, and with nos. with same first figures and second figures add up to 10. There are so many special cases for divisions too extending it into algebra. The areas of rectangles look easy now with less and easy steps. It is amazing to know the sutras such as by mere observation, spot the obvious, if one is in ratio the other is zero.

At this stage, I feel that I have learned a lot so far, I am starting to sink it now.

Thank you,

Anupama Cherukuri
      Participant

hi Ken,

in lesson 18 dividing special way, I am able to do dividing by 12 but confusing for dividing by 13. pls explain for

13)2546

Thanks

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Anupama,

This is not a good method for division by 13, but you can still do it – either using bar numbers, or by reducing digits.

With bar numbers:
        13  )  <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>2  5  4  6</span>
        <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>2  (1)  7 rem -15</span>  = 197 rem -15  =  195 rem 11

Just follow through with the method given and you get:  2  (1)  7 rem -15.

Then remembering the the 197 is 197 thirteens you will need to take two of them over to deal with the negative remainder: 26 – 15 = 11.

The other way starts by noting that you can’t take 3 twos from 5, so you put down 1 and put the other 1 to the left of the 5 to make it into 15. And proceed like that.

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

The bar numbers method did not come over – trying again:
        13) 2 5 4 6
        2 (1) 7 rem -15 = 197 rem -15 = 195 rem 11.

Anupama Cherukuri
      Participant

with bar numbers it was easy.

normal way

13)2546

1 / 15- (2*3)/ so here 9*3 is 27 if I borrow again I am coming up with the answer 165 r 5

which is wrong.

I am just curious to know how it works

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

From the 15 you subtract 3*1 to get 12. You can’t put down 12 because you know the next number will be 9 at most.

So you put down 9, and the other 3 (from that 12) is prefixed to the next digit to give 34.

Now taking 3*9 from 34 gives 7. But this is too big because at the next step you will be taking 21 from 6. So the 7 must be reduced, and you find it needs to go down to a 5 because then you will have 26 – 3*5 which is the remainder 11.

I hope this makes sense – full makes for determination 🙂

Anupama Cherukuri
      Participant

yes, it makes sense. Thanks

In the Homework practice, I got stuck with this  Calculation 111)79999

Please help me with this. I tried so many ways I thought of but no luck so far.

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Anupama,

I think you got this question from a late chapter on base division. The method is explained there and is not covered on this course. However the method of straight division which we cover in lesson 25 will easily do it.

Anupama Cherukuri
      Participant

ohh ok. thank you

Amara Deepthi
      Participant

Dear Ken,

Even though I have completed Lesson 17 quiz, Iam not able to go to Lesson 18 quiz. Unless I complete the quizzes I can’t submit my assignment. I have already raised a ticket for the same. Can you please give me some more time to submit the assignment until this issue is resolved.

Deepthi

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Deepthi,

Yes, it will be alright. Thanks for your patience.

Ken

Amara Deepthi
        Participant

Ken,

I could resolve the issue and complete the quizzes. I have uploaded my assignment also. Thank you for your support.

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Glad to hear it Deepthi.

Amara Deepthi
      Participant

Ken,

When can I start my Week 6 classes? Please let me know. If I go try to start, it says go back to the previous lesson. Kindly advice.

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Amara,

It happens to me as well. There are some technical problems so thank you for your patience. They will soon be resolved.

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi,

Week 5 was full of multiplications and division. I like the last video about the Vedic math demonstrations, it explains very well the flow of the class, structure of the talk with introduction, features, to dos and don’t’s and examples.

thank you Mr. ken for teaching V.M. with a slow and easy pace.  It surely need practice though, with the health crisis around us, it feels challenging at times, but is doable.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
Scroll to Top
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Youtube