Week 1 Video Lessons

Home Forums VMTTC Online Discussion Forum Week 1 Video Lessons

Tagged: 

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Pasyanthi
      Keymaster

Please use this thread to post your comments/Questions/Impressons on topics covered in week 1 video lessons

VenkatKoppaka
      Participant

Week 1 Videos are Amazing!

Maurice Perry
      Participant

So far,I’m.getting a good grasp of the material

Anupama Cherukuri
      Participant

Thank you for adding the History too.

Anupama Cherukuri
      Participant

from where I can download the practice book.TIA

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Anupama,
        You will find the book under “Download Course Materials” in the left-hand menu.
        Ken

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Just finished with the first lesson, that was a good start.

Shikha Dhingra
      Participant

I have a doubt from lesson 2 looking for tens practice 1 (Q-4) 14+54+16. Here 16+54=70,14+16=30 both gives the answer in tens .Is there any priority rule to add these numbers.

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Shikha,
        There are not really hard and fast rules in Vedic maths. We do what we find easiest.
        So in this case I would combine 16 and 54 first because that deals with the biggest numbers and leaves the easier additon of 14 til last.

Satya
      Participant

Hi, Is there a preference for Left-Right or Right-Left order while doing Addition in Vedic Maths. I’ve seen the first video encouraged to follow Left-Right but when comes to adding columns with more numbers, both ways were shown. I feel its easy to do units place first (as its conventional method) but would like to know what is preferred in Vedic Math methodology and its benefits. Thank you!

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

There’s no general preference Satya. Left to right was prioritised in the first video because most people know how to add from the right. You are right of course that it is easier to start with the units because we are accustomed to that, but most people do find that left to right is often better once you get used to it.
        In Vedic maths we say to use the method you prefer. Most people prefer the most efficient method. But you won’t know the most efficient method unless you have had a chance to compare them. So as teachers we need to be fully familiar with all the possibilities and fluent with them. And we don’t say a method is wrong because we prefer a different one. All methods are valid.

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi,
      It was interesting to go over the lesson 2. During adding columns section, I was stuck with practice problem no 2 and 3. I am comfortable doing right to left, but while going L to R, it is unclear with 3 and 4 figure nos. Will appreciate guidance, thank you.

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Savita,
        Taking practice question 2, you get 16 for the total of the left-hand column – remember that.
        For the next column you find a total of 18, so the 1 in this 18 is taken over to the 16 in the first column, and you get 178 with the 8 appended. Remember 178.
        Finally, the right-hand column totals 26, so carry the 2 onto the 178 (to make it 180) and append the 6 to give 1806.

I hope this explains it. But there is another method which we will come to later which will allow you to write the digits down one after the other rather than hold the whole thing mentally, which can be a challenge if there are many figures involved.

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

2)
      328 addition

3)
      2371 addition

Anupama Cherukuri
      Participant

I never tried before from left to right… but after practiced, I am feeling left to right is easy compared to the right to left.

Finished the Doubling and halving lesson today it was good. Practice sheets are very helpful.

Maurice Perry
      Participant

How do I get access to Week 1’s quiz

Anupama Cherukuri
        Participant

It is after Lesson 4 video. Maybe it will show up only after we finish Lesson 4 I guess. Today I finished the lesson and can see the quiz tab.

Satya
      Participant

Hi Savitha,

As Ken mentioned in answering my question about doing L-R & R-L, I think there is no correct/wrong answer on what method to follow here. We can do either way depending on what we feel is easy/comfortable to do.

I am now somewhat comfortable with L-R but I feel I need more practice to work with 3 or more digit numbers. So right now I am just doing
      R-L.

Hope this helps
      Satya

Hi Savita,

In sum 2.

1 4 3
      3 1 6
      8 9 2
      1 2 7
      3 2 8

1806 is the final answer.

While working from left to right, 1st column will add up to 16. Before writing down the answer, check the second column if there would be any carry forward. In this case there is a carry forward so instead of writing 16, we write 17. Second column adds up to 18, we have already considered carry forward so we just remember 8 in second column and start adding last column which adds up to 26. 2 is carry forward (8+2 = 10 and 1 in 10 will add to 17). 1806 is the final answer.

We can do the sum 3 also in the same way.

Hi Ken sir, I thoroughly enjoyed week one videos. Thank you for sharing history about Vedic maths and number system. I particularly like the way you are relating sutras with the brain functionality.

I am curious to know how verse “in the regin of king Kamse famine, pestilence and unsanitary conditions prevailed” translates to Ganita Sutras.

Regards,
      Mallika.

KennethWilliams
      Keymaster

Hi Mallika,
      Glad you are enjoying the lessons.
      The connection between the Sutras and Sanskrit is the Vedic Numerical Code. That code is explained in the last lesson of this course and is explained by Tirthaji in his book. The idea is essentially that a correspondence can be given between Sanskrit consonants and numbers. That way all Sanskrit texts can be read numerically.

Pasyanthi
      Keymaster

Dear Students

Glad to know that you are all enjoying week 1 video lessons, please post any learnings/comments/impressions yoiu may have on week 1 video lessons here

All week 1 videos must be viewed and completed to view week 1 Quiz

All the very best 🙂

Happy VM learning

Maurice Perry
        Participant

So far, I enjoy how Vedic Math conforms more towards my creative brain, making it more understandable and enjoyable. Eager for the challenges ahead

Hi. I have already done the quiz. But it still shows Start Quiz under the Quiz 01 section.

Pasyanthi
        Keymaster

Quiz 1 can be atempted 2 times,
        All other Quizzes – 1 attempt only

Fabio Zanatta
      Participant

Hi. I completed week 1 lessons and the first quiz.
      Into the course presentation (assessment part) I read that we have assessments during the couse and a final assessment at the end of the course. What is it about?

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi Maurice,
      Once we finish fourth video ( VML4), we can access the quiz.

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi Fabio,
      I understood that we will have weekly quizzes, 2 assignments ( the first one is open on Feb 8th and it is due on 15th Feb. and the second is due on march 15th). It also says that we will have 9 online tests. Hm.. so, do we have weekly quizzes and weekly online tests and 2 assignments?

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi Mallika,
      Is it because you have 2 attempts for the first quiz?

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

I just finished my first quiz. It covers all the things we learn during the week. I think, with more and more practice all the multiplication tables, divisions, halving, doubling will become easier.
      Thank you Mr. William and the whole Pasyanthi team. Have a good weekend,

Fabio Zanatta
      Participant

Hi Savita,
      I understood that we have 9 on line tests (1 test per week): 2 assignments (the first one is open on 8th Febrary and the second is due on march 15th) and 7 weekly quizzes.

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

To clarify: A ‘test’ is a ‘quiz’ – two words but with the same meaning on this course.
        So there are 9 tests/quizzes, one per week. No other tests/quizzes.

Hi, This is Kana here

I do have some question regarding halving Practice 4 (Question number 6)
      When try to half 3 from 33 we are getting reminder 1.5
      how to half this number which giving reminder?

KennethWilliams
        Keymaster

Hi Kana,
        For half of 33 you can halve 30 and 3 to get 15 and 1.5. The total is 15 + 1.5 = 16.5.
        The answer is given in the answer sheet as 16.5 or 16 and a half, both equally correct.

Amara Deepthi
      Participant

Dear Ken,

Thoroughly enjoyed the alternate concept in division by 50,25 and 5. Thank you for the lessons.

Amara Deepthi
      Participant

I have one more doubt. My name is showing as Amara Deepthi but my name is Amara Sarada Deepthi. How can I make sure that this is changed so that in my VMTTC Certificate also I get my full name “Amara Sarada Deepthi”. Please suggest.

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi,
      thank you Mr. Kenneth, Mr. Satya, and Ms. Mallika for responding, I appreciate it. I spell my name as – Savita.
      Thanks

Savita P Kulkarni
      Participant

Hi,
      thank you Mr. Kenneth, Mr. Satya, and Ms. Mallika for responding, I appreciate it. I spell my name as – Savita.
      Thanks

VenkatKoppaka
      Participant

<span style=”color: #ff0000;”>Week 1  video lessons are very interesting and informative</span>

<script id=”th-iframe-script” src=”chrome-extension://ofdopmlmgifpfkijadehmhjccbefaeec/assets/comms/commsiframe.js”></script>

I really enjoyed the first weeks videos!

VenkatKoppaka
      Participant

test post

VenkatKoppaka
      Participant

Test message – VMTTC forum

Preeti Pathak
      Participant

Hello,

I learnt a lot from videos. mental addition, doubling and halving, dividing by 5,50,25 ,attempted the quiz. It was a sort of revision for me(as I did introductory course too).

But ,somehow couldn’t paticipate in forum discussions as didn’t have access. So posting it now.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
Scroll to Top
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Youtube